View Single Post
      05-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

sDRIVE v xDRIVE

Hate to start the never ending debate, but a note to self...

I own a 335d xDRIVE with adaptive, it went in for some work for a couple of days and for those 3 days I was given an M Sport 318d F31 on 19's. Rough Suspension? Yes!

However as the saying goes with hire cars, "drive it like you stole it" it handled like a dream, glued to the road. Anyway 3 days later, jumping back on my 335d with the enormous extra power offered over the 318d, I thought sodd it, I have missed the power, let me drive it like i've stolen it.. The results were, super fast, correct, but around bends at around 50-60mph, you could feel the front & rear tyres trying to grip the road, the ride was wallowy even with adaptive on sport. around bends or not. Overall the car felt bouncy and not as comfortable as sDrive.

I love the security of knowing my car is not going to loose grip easily, but its not pure driving fun, xDrive does not drive like a bmw and we can tell ourselves all the lies. I live in London, Good roads, no snow, no off-roading, makes me think the car should be targeted at a different market.

Sorry in advance for starting this thread.

Last edited by MWA; 05-02-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0