Rep
Drives: 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowncar View Post
2.3 GHz Core i5-2410M
8gb Ram
750gb HDD

http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-u5...-gb-hdd/specs/

It's a pretty decent set-up. If I could figure out how to install OSX on it I probably wouldn't even consider making the transition at the moment. I've tried mounting the .DMG on a bootable USB/CD and I never get past the loading screen.
Just going by the hardware profile of your comp and the fact that you want OSX, I would personally upgrade. Definitely a solid system in its day though.

You're running a Sandy Bridge Core i5 which is a great processor, but it's getting long in the tooth. 5th gen Core is already out (albeit Core M, not Core I). You will see a significant increase in battery life and performance with a more recent Haswell (4th gen) or Broadwell (5th gen) system. Couple that with a SSD and it will be night and day between your old system and a new one.

Beyond that, you are going to get a significantly better screen in any modern day system (especially if you got a rMBP).

Cheapest, most bang for your buck is to just upgrade your HDD to a SSD. Your user experience will improve significantly due to the SSD, but your battery life won't really improve that significantly. If you aren't super mobile with it, then that might not matter. But if you travel/rely on battery a lot, you might want to think about a system with either 4th or 5th gen Core i5 (Mac or otherwise).
Appreciate 0