Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1zbo View Post
Same story here.
Ther is something quite fantastic about mechanical watches.
From a rational point of view there is no need for them at this time and age but i find the mechanics fascinating.

Movements with very complicated and old engineering with all the small cogs, wheels and springs and yet it can have such a a fantastic precision.

I have the same approach as you to my watches

Since i started collecting and trading I have not lost any money as the appreciation of some watches has been greater than depreciations and running costs of the other watches.

A steel Pepsi GMT 2 would b nice but I doubt Rolex will go that way.
I wish they would but I don’t think it’s very likely.

On a personal note I am not a huge fan of the maxi cases even though the 116710 has somewhat narrower lugs than the recent submariners.

I did own a 116710 but sold it and went for the ceramic Sea Dweller which has the narrower case that I prefer.
It is however a bit too tall and does not sit as nice and flat on the wrist as the 116710...
Still a nice watch, and now collectible since it’s been discontinued.

I also have a white Explorer 2 16570 which is one of my favorites to wear, despite the somewhat inferior build quality compared to the newer references.

It’s a fun and, if you play your cards right, an inexpensive hobby if you are not counting having your money tied up in the watches
F1zbo I hear what you are saying, my watches (and a few cars) have appreciated better than most other investments I have made. I keep hoping for a Pepsi 116710 in steel but know its a pipe dream, something about the cost of blending 2 different bezel colors. I guess the black and blue on my 116710BLNR was easier somehow and heard rumblings at Bazel that a Coke GMT might be on the horizon.

The ceramic SD is an awesome piece but I have stuck to my trusty GMT's due to their history with Juan Tripp commissioning the original 6542 "Pussy Galore"(which I would love to have) for Pan Am in 1954. I started flying commercially in 1997 and purchased my 1675 from its original owner. That one watch has accompanied me around the world more times than I can count and I wouldn't think of going to work without it. Plan on wearing it right thru to my retirement flight. Recently sold my 16760 "Fat Lady" to a friend as he had always wanted it and picked up the new 116500LN as my AD offered it to me at MSRP. Was going to flip it but have been wearing it more and think having a Daytona in the collection is always a smart bet (smarter if it was a Paul Newman model)

I wouldn't mind an Explorer 1655 "Steve McQueen" but the prices of those have gone ridiculously high. I inherited by grandfathers 14270 but don't wear it much, always like the look of the 216570 and might end up getting one someday.

You are correct, it is a fun hobby and can be a smart investment. I wish I had the cash to play with million dollar cars to collect and trade but don't play in that league. Watches are a way for me to get the same type of excitement on a scale I can afford
|2017 LBB M2|6 speed|EP|DINAN Suspension|DINAN Free Flow Exhaust|DINAN Carbon CAI|DINAN Sport Tuner Stg 1|12/10mm MACHT SCHNELL Spacers|BMS Clutch Stop|IND Painted reflectors|ACEXXON/IND Rear Reflectors
Appreciate 0