View Single Post
      10-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #29
solomonshv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6

Garage List
as pointed out here already, the M550 is the spiritual successor to the 550. it's not an M car. BMW is simply ape-ing Mercedes never ending quest to put their stupid AMG badge on anything that moves. The Mercedes E43 "AMG", for example, is not any faster than the G30 540i xdrive, but Mercedes is selling tons of them at stupidly inflated prices because the average person who buys an E43 is a simpleton who doesn't know any better.

Mercedes is shameless with their AMG badging. BMW is not nearly is a bad but still guilty of using a once iconic symbol to move regular road cars at marked up pricing.

however, even though i do not believe that the M550 should be badged as an M car, i think it's by far the best value when it comes to over powered luxury sedans. there is really nothing else like it. it's great on the road, it isolates you from terrible pavement and road noise, but has an absurd amount of power for when you feel like earning a reckless driving ticket. if i lived in a rural area, i would have sprung for an M550. but i live in NYC. the speed limit here is 25MPH in most places, and during rush hour you can't do 25. so i saved a few thousand by going with a 540i. and i'll continue to save buckets of money on gas because at low speeds, M550i gets very thirsty.
Appreciate 1