TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Well, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it is also objectively not true.

I specifically chose NOT to have the adaptive suspension on my otherwise fully loaded 540iX G31. There were several reasons for that:
  • As a more knowledgable member points below it raises the springs 10mm and makes the car wallowy in its Comfort setting. Which, let's face it, is what owners do 90% of the time
  • I test drove several different 540:s, with DCC, Adaptive Dampers, the like and chose the firmer, more progressive setting of the passive M-dampers
  • Damping preference is a personal setting - My other car is an M3 F80, riding on 20inch 666 wheels. I'd say the 540 is pretty comfortable in comparison. If you compare to, idk, a Rolls, well it would feel more of a sports car.. Relative this.
  • Passive dampers save approx 40kg mass, for me that was non neglible
  • I don't like the fact that I cannot choose a default driving mode (yet), so I didn't want to sit in a wallowy cruiser by default before I get irritated enough to press a button

So, now you have several (new) reasons to be amazed at

I miss the Goldilocks tuning of older days on BMW, where the car just felt "right". The passive M-Sport is, IMHO, closest to that.
Also, even though RFTs have become much better there is no comparison between those and the premium non-RFTs and no amount of trick suspension can compensate for the reduced unsprung mass - you will always have the sensation of moving from leaden boots to running trainers..
I agree with this above ^. I had DCC, adaptive dampers on my 435GC, and I honestly never took it out of sport. It’s a nice have, but certainly not an essential in my opinion. Riding on 20’s even on UK roads I find the suspension excellent with very little body roll. Horses for courses .

Tyre brand choice on the other hand is far more important.
Appreciate 0