View Single Post
      08-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #9
binmerman
Rep
Drives: 440i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
The problem with either car is that V8. In the 550, BMW has still not worked out the issues with excessive oil burning and you face reduced resale values and potential repair bills because of it. In the M5 you have fewer engine concerns, but if something does go bad out of warranty, prepare to get a second mortgage or sell a kidney. And there's a lot more stuff to go bad on the M5. All the cool gadgets.

It depends too on how long you plan to keep the car. M cars do typically depreciate more (as a percentage and in dollar terms) so aside from the more expensive maintenance and repairs, it's going to hurt more at resale time too. And insurance. And gas mileage. And tires.

Worth it? To me, no. The 550 has gotten so much closer to the M5 in performance, it's more a matter of styling and numbers at the track. If you're going to track it, then yes, go M. Otherwise, no.

And for that matter, with these V8 issues, nothing wrong with sticking to the 540i, which has the best evolution of the best engine (inline-6) that BMW is famous for.

are M cars really that bad over time? i see many posts regarding, more money to be spent on repairs or so.. if thats the case I would go with M550i now bez its kinda cheaper (compared with M5 and comparable performance), I really don't want to be in a situation to put 80k now and spend 20k on repairs later... its better to get 2020M5 worth 100k now(really not my budget)

My budget is upto 80k, but i definetly wont go for 2020 M550i for 80k, i would rather choose 2019/2018 M5 cpo.

540i, same engine as 440i no big difference apart from interiors. looking for V8.
Appreciate 0