09-18-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchJR View Post
I recently tested the A6 and had mixed feelings. The ride is smoother than my 540i and the interior is more modern, but the steering is too light and I could not stand the all touchscreen interface. It looks slick but the smudges and dust are annoying. There were four other factors that nixed the Audi. 1. The only way to get close to the features in my BMW is with the Prestige model and they are practically non-existent. 2. Leases for the Premium Plus are more than my 540i and missing features like HUD and adaptive cruise, well into M550i territory. 3. No cupholder cover. EU markets get one but US Audis are designed for larger cups. 4. No auto brake hold for the US market either.
I am on my 10th BMW, ordered my car with all the options I really wanted. Have looked at Audis, MBs, Genesis and others. Could never get the right combination of colors and options. And I strongly agree about the touch screen interfaces. I hate them. They are as distracting as any texting or phoning. I have one on my Z06 and while I am now used to it, I wish it had the BMW's iDrive. It is a pain to have to look at the screen to know what you are poking at. The iDrive has evolved to be the best approach to controlling all the things one needs to control in a car. Even Consumer Reports thought so after initially bashing (rightfully so) it in the early days. I also do not like the Largemouth Bass approach to front grilles as exhibited by Audi, Lexus and others. If BMW puts the new hideous 4 Series grille on the 5 series I may well be heading for something else despite my happiness with the current cars. --Bob