12-29-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Good SUV, but try to aim for MSRP. There are only few vehicles in the world that I would actually buy with ADM's, but a mass-market sold 3-row SUV is not one of them.
I agree, and the last thing I want to do is pay over MSRP. With that said, even marked up like they are around Charleston, they are still flying off the lot. Last model that was optioned how she wanted it sold prior to getting to the lot. Optiones are limited, but I found the one she wants in Charlotte. Waiting to see how the numbers will play out, I want them to provide out the door cost before I make the trip. For the record there is another dealer within 200 miles of here that is marking their Telluride's up $9,000 (regardless of the trim). It is absurd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
You have two separate decisions to make. First is if you want to lease or buy and then you need to figure out what the market price of this car actually is (how low you can get it for) and then compare it to something similar from another manufacturer. If you have decided that this is the vehicle you want then the only decision is lease vs. buy and negotiating the lowest deal.

When you say the Charleston dealers price is $46k, but you can go somewhere else and get it for $41k, why are you still trying to deal with the Charleston dealer? The purchase AND lease will also go down if you can negotiate a better starting price. Leases are a calculation and as the inputs change the monthly payment also changes. I would drive a considerable distance to save $5k.

For the question of lease vs. buy, do you typically replace your new car after 3 years regardless of how you got it?
The lowest I have found the vehicle with all of the options is $41,770. This is MSRP, no dealer mark-up. The dealer in PA is not marking up FWD Tellurides, but is marking up the AWD. Different weather conditions up there obviously. I have nixed the Charleston dealer, as you mentioned it is ridiculous to pay that mark-up. I found one in which the dealer told me $43,800. That dealer is located 3hrs away. That is now $2,000 over the price in PA. The saying time is money does factor for me, and there is also cost in getting up there. Fiance would want to come, so 2 flights would be around $300-$400. Gas on the return trip from PA would be around $100. Then 10hrs of my time on the return home. Hence I am debating the $43,800 price at this time.

In regards to lease vs buy, we agreed last night that buying would be more beneficial to us. I don't want to be handicapped by miles like we were on the last lease, this was quite annoying and limited us from taking shorter trips due to the concern. If I buy I could see us paying it off early, then having the option to upgrade. With the upcoming large expenses in our life it could also be a good 5yr+ vehicle for us. Seems like the better long term decision as well as potential solid short term decision dependent on depreciation over the next few years. Buying shouldn't put any financial strain on us as I will be paying my car off within the next 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0