View Single Post
      05-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

2017 540i - Time to do the brakes

2017 540i w/ M Sport Brakes

The brake light came on indicating that my rear pads need to be replaced. I pulled all four wheels and took a look, the rears are close to needing replacement but I was surprised to find the rotors need to be replaced as well (they've built up a nice lip on both the outer and inner portions of the rotors).

The fronts aren't far behind. Car is at 54k miles, so I assume the fronts have been done before (I bought it CPO). I drive the car a lot, this is my work/commuting car, so I am considering replacing the pads with something less aggressive for two reasons: first, it'll reduce the amount of dust and second, it will hopefully not eat up the rotors so quick.

Anyone have good recommendations on pads and rotors? I use Powerstop Z26 pads on my Hellcat (to reduce the dust - swap back to Brembos for track days) but it seems Powerstop only makes the Z26 for the rear on the G30 w/ M sport brakes.

Plenty of rotors out there but I want to make sure I get a good rotor that isn't going to warp easily and I don't want the hats to rust or discolor much. Just looking for OEM replacement quality.

I don't mind buying the BMW parts if they are the best option but the rear rotors are $236/ea, which is a little pricey. I really want an aftermarket pad.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Appreciate 0