View Single Post
      09-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #15
Gouki
Private
Rep
Drives: E92M3, E46M3, E63M6, SL55, 182

I just want to thank ss540i for this guide. I've just completed the carbon fibre roof retrofit.

For reference there are about 90 spot welds which I drilled out using spot weld cutter drill bits. Fortunately I bought a pack of them since they eventually blunt and require more effort, prior to drilling them out I recommend using a small drill bit for pilot holes to stop the spot weld bit slipping. There are also four nuts under the roof trims between the spot welds that need to be removed, they are painted body color. Also once you've removed the headlining there is a black glue holding the roof in place even when all the aforementioned nuts and welds are removed, continue to use a good seem splitter set to attack these areas. I purchased the BMW body adhesive for $160 and even with applicators it was not easy to apply, I recommend saving yourself some money and buy smaller containers of a 4-6 hour dry auto body weld (black/white) when mixed becomes grey because it seems to be a similar type.

Unfortunately upon removing my windshield it cracked so another is being installed this week. I'm happy to answer any questions regarding the install process while this is still fresh in my memory.
Appreciate 0