LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
One of these days I am going to have to try the Onboard Navigation. It's just so easy typing a few bits of an address or business name in your phone and hitting go and then it's on your CarPlay screen. The other integration is Calendar which pretty much supports all Calendars - Exchange, Outlook, Gmail, etc. Get a pop on the phone - "It's time to leave for Meeting or Reservations" and boom, Maps is going.

Apple has a stranglehold on things with their ecosystem.
BMW is pretty good too, but we’re still waiting to see if they bring back some features from the old ConnectedDrive app.

The onboard maps is pretty solid and searching for designations is pretty accurate via voice or text input and works with a few characters typed in. On the phone I can send to MyBMW using the share sheet and it is ready once I get into the car.

What I do miss (and you still get) is the calendar integration. In the old ConnectedDrive app as soon as I got into the car ahead of a calendar appointment with an address on the event the car would prompt me to go to that destination. Until this comes back Apple Maps in CarPlay has a leg up.

I try out CarPlay a lot, but it hasn’t pulled me over just yet (I can’t wait for the new detailed map data in NYC to come to Philly in a month or two. That might pull me over.). Thankfully we get the option of both and can flip between them with ease. You can even try out BMW Maps without disabling CarPlay!

I also really really like how well BMW Maps reports hazards and the like. Such as this one where I was coming to a wall of traffic that was around a curve in the highway. Looked super clear and was moving over 60MPH until you come around the corner. This is a common source of crashes here in Philly since we have so many curves in our highways and you often get clear traffic and come around a bend to a wall of cars…

Name:  Center.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  1.44 MB

Name:  Cluster.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  HUD.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  1.47 MB
Appreciate 0