View Single Post
      04-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #68
rac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
An accumulator is a very simple installation and relatively affordable. If you're doing this type of driving it's really a "might as well install one" type thing imo.
i agree, my comments are really targeted at those chasing the perfect oil pressure after they have implemented the simple stuff. i would go one step further and say a simple baffle in the sump is also a no brainer, without going crazy on complex trap door and plumbing solutions. its the 80/20 rule, none of the solutions for a wet sump is a 100% solution until you switch to a dry sump.... i've seen people chase this mirage for years without ever being happy.

Quote:
And I have logged and posted similar logs. Timestamp 1474 he is back on throttle with rpm and boost rising over 3,000rpm (engine is loaded) and oil pressure is continuing to drop. I know on a dyno my n55 PWG car made as much as 507wtq on the stock turbo at 27xxrpm. He's not at 100% pedal input / load but still.... logs have captured oil pressure continuing to dip in a turn while the user is in a region of the oil pressure map that should be achieving 60psi+ and they are at 20-30psi.
is this with or without the accumulator? if it is still happening with an accumulator and a basic sump baffle then i guess more time resources is warranted. i would add a pressure sensor to the accumulator and log it find out exactly how it is being depleted and go from there. ideally the accumulator should be controlled by a programmable valve to make best use of its volume.

Quote:
Also, oil pressure sensors have a resolution and logging has a resolution as well. The accusump will dump oil in between shifts indicating pressure dipped below the 60psi of the electronic switch I chose... but logs show 80psi still. To catch the "trough" of oil pressure in a momentary bit of starvation is not guaranteed just because you are logging. I know after logging hundreds of autocross runs I had a few logs showing as little as 10psi at 3000rpm. Just a matter of the sensor/log grabbing a datapoint at the exact moment of the lowest low. Just another consideration... TLDR: the problem could be even worse than a basic log would indicate.
i thought this might the case judging by some of the data i've seen posted. cant see it being a sensor issue, it must be logging frequency. i can log up to 1000hz, i guarantee i could pick up those dips if they were occurring at the place of the sensor. i havent tracked the car since having this set-up, maybe when i do the data will keep me awake at night.... lol.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3767.50