05-30-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I use the driving assistance functions on my 2018 540i almost 100% of the time I'm on interstate trips. My experience is exactly the same. It's not perfect. But I find it very useful and I'm very happy with it. The car handles the basics and I oversee it all. I definitely wouldn't recommend someone taking it for granted and getting complacent. It gives me a break, but I'm still the driver. Also, I find myself basically doing all the driving with the steering wheel, meaning I don't use the brake or accelerator much. I just adjust the speed using cruise controls on the wheel. If I need to slow down for an upcoming curve, couple taps down. Then a couple taps up to resume higher speeds. I love it. It's not there to take over for me, it's there as a tool to be used in operating the vehicle.
Did you know the cruise control will do this for you? I've tested it on many interchanges and the car will slow sufficiently, then resume the set speed. It's a bit unnerving at first, but it works pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Nice review, thanks for putting this together. In terms of driver assistance functions, I find them all very useful and use them a lot. I set lane keep or assist (whatever it's called) set to reduced and find this the right balance. It allows you to cross lanes without a blinker without fighting you. Reduced is specific for this. I always use my blinker, but when I enter the highway on a Sunday morning and just want to punch it and get over to the left with no one on the road, I don't have to use my blinker to avoid having the car fight with me.

I also use steering assist a lot. Not to steer the car with my hands off the wheel, but to "assist" and keep me true to my lane.

ACC stop and go might be my favorite of all the driving assistance functions.
I turned off the correction function. I will turn it on for long, freeway trips, but for in-town it's quite annoying.
Appreciate 0