Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
How do you plan to get Netflix from your phone to the rse screens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigilauro View Post
Yes, after you configure the box, you can use your iPhone via CarPlay as you usually do (Spotify or anything).

Again: watch the YouTube video and you will see that you get also the traditional CarPlay interface with all the usual functionalities for your iPhone.

Actually, you will also have the ADDITIONAL opportunity to install the same applications (e.g. Spotify w/ your account) on the Android BOX and use it from the dongle directly without even needing your Phone, if that is more convenient for you for any reasons (e.g. iPhone low battery, or forgot at home, or anything).

Of course that is with the new box compatible with latest iDrive updates, since the current sold / out of stock old box, or the newer MMB 11 Plus, are not compatible with BMWs.

We need a "BMW MMB 11 Plus", which as the reseller was telling me, it's under development right now, and should be coming in ~2 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigilauro View Post
I don't even need my phone actually.

With this box, you have 2 different ways to do it.
  1. Use "Android MODE" on the box, install Netflix application on the box from Google playstore, and then just use it with your account. With CarPlay wired connection via USB you will visualise Netflix to main iDrive screen, while you connect also the HDMI port for mirroring from the box to the HDMI port on the back seats from RSE. This way you will have the Netflix application running on the box shown in sync both to main screen, and back screens
  2. Use "Screen Mirroring" on the box, which supports both android screen mirroring, but also iOS airplay screen mirroring. This is also possible, but probably wouldn't be as smooth in terms of playback as the first option, so whenever there is a native android application, it's much better to install it directly on the box and use it from there.

You can see both options in action in the YouTube videos I linked, or from many more (just search on YouTube for "MMB 11 Plus")

Of course to do this we need the BMW-compatible version of MMB 11 Plus box, which is not out yet (should be in 2 months). So this is possible today for any other car, and will be possible soon for BMWs as well.
Ok, yeah I don’t see any reason this wouldn’t work if the box can successfully output hdmi at the same time.

My single remaining nitpick is that I’d like it to also have Netflix’s download feature. If it uses the standard google play version though then that should also be there…