08-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #46
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
I’ve been trying this and unfortunately it seems like a no-go. I can’t even use screen mirroring in the front if Hdmi is in use in the back. It gives an error that the media type can only be controlled from the rear. I can switch back to screen mirroring, but then it disables hdmi in the back. I also can only use screen mirroring in either the rear or the front. Perhaps the restriction can be coded around, but wouldn’t count on it. Both screen mirroring and hdmi work great independently on my phone, but I can’t even use my chrome cast in the back at the same time as screen mirroring with my phone in the front, let alone using the phone through both mirroring and hdmi.

https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...-nbt-evo-id5/A possible alternative to luigilauro ’s solution could be to enable hdmi input to the front with an HD-link box like this: https://car-solutions.com/en/video-i...i-nbt-evo-id5/

I’ve seen videos of this working with F-series BMW’s on I drive 5 (or maybe lower) but no idea if it’s possible on id6/7. But the mmb box definitely seems like the best approach, assuming they’re able to deliver.

If not, my fallback is to give up on the front screen and just mount a Samsung tablet for the front passenger.
Sorry to hear your tentative didn't work out.

That said, for sure video interface boxes that add an HDMI input for iDrive main screen would work in getting Netflix on the front screen. But you would still have the problem to pass also the same input to the back screens as well, you would need a HDMI 1x2 box, and then to run cables across the car. Also you couldn't control the source with iDrive controls, since it's just an HDMI input, you would need to control it at the source directly or with another remote. Much less convenient and flexible IMHO, but if you are interested only in front screen, of course it's a good solution. Also it would require to do an hw mod, even if minimal, which is not an option for many ppl (leasing, etc..).

Let's hope the MMB ppl are able to deliver the updated box with full BMW compatibility and then we have a solution that could work for everyone (iPhone Screen Mirroring, Android Auto support, Netflix/YouTube/Any App, Front/Back screen sync etc. etc..) and also be decently cheap (~300 $), requiring no hw mods, and easily reversible.
Appreciate 0