View Single Post
      08-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
cryptz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Failed valvetronic motor @15k miles

So i have a 2015 f82 whos valvetronic motor failed at 15k miles. I just did the repair myself. The eccentric shaft looked fine, no broken teath and just the slightest hint of contact between the teeth and the valvetronic worm gear. Basically what I mean by that was the color of the eccentric shaft gears were slightly different where the worm gear contacts, but no wear to speak of.

I barely drive the car, its on a ctek charger most of the time. I saw a few posts that lead me to believe this could be the result of the ctek. In the past I would have the car on charge and unlock it, go into the cabin, maybe wipe it down etc =).

I am wondering if waking the car while on the ctek could possibly have been the cause of this. The codes in ista were basically saying the voltage was too high and the position implausible. Curious for those who's have failed how many leave there car on charge and wake it like this.

The symptom was the 4-5 second jackhammer noise. I did have a CEL, no problems really otherwise.

it was a $440 part, but I spent about $2k in parts getting to that motor and replacing one time use items etc. Would love to avoid it if possible down the road..
Appreciate 0