LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Where is it written the Government has the "duty to nudge things in the right direction"? I've not seen that written anywhere in the US Constitution, so you'd have to make that argument I would think. There are numerous available methodologies to manufacture synthetic fuels, so running out of petroleum to power automobiles is really not a large concern.

And yeah, I've been hearing and reading the world is running out of oil since I was 10 years old in the early 1970s. Search the internet and the latest estimate of remaining recoverable oil reserves is just a mere 50 years. In the 1970s when the Government/Media complex tried to scare us young people about the coming change in the environment*, the gasoline supply was supposed to run out as soon as the mid 1980's to as far away as the late 1990's. It never happened; in fact gas got less expensive for a few decades, and when looked at over time from the 1970s until now, in constant dollars gasoline has pretty much remained flat price wise for the past 50 years. So that will be the next BIG SCARE, to convince everyone we have to switch to EV because we will run out of gasoline in just 50 years. Just like three years ago the BIG SCARE was the rate of climate change was speeding up and we have only 12 years (8 years now...) until the earth's climate reaches the "point of no return" and the effects of anthropogenic climate change will not be "reversable" (whatever that really means - LOL).

Based on my professional experience (dealing with GOMEX oil platforms) I'm more of the mindset to consider Abiotic Oil Theory will continue to produce oil rather than anthropogenic climate change is bringing us to the irreversible brink of future climatic catastrophe in just 8 short years. It's a race of the fear-mongers on the racetrack of Big Tech-controlled social media! Soon to-be-available as a 1:43 EV slot-track kit, fun for the entire climate-fearing family! Race the Twitter-sponsored scale Tesla Plaid against the Facebook-sponsored scale Lucid Air; 1:43 scale sponsor car-wraps included! Solar-powered power kit sold separately... Some assembly required.

Can't we all just calm down a bit and not scare ourselves shitless. Please.
It is written in the constitution. That’s the whole point of the preamble. To ground us in the core purpose of why we established a union of states.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/preamble

Since the 1970s the US has had increasingly stringent fuel economy standards. More efficient engines reduce the demand for oil and extend the life of our existing oil supplies.

We’ve secured oil at a very high societal cost that should make every American feel uncomfortable. We’ve secured oil supplies with the lives of our service men and woman. We’ve also had to continually contort ourselves to accommodate regimes likes the Saudi’s and others. Oil is our biggest vulnerability and the oil shocks of the 70s are a grim reminder of how vulnerable we can be.

Renewable energy and even EVs offer a way to eliminate that vulnerability…

Lastly, even if the CA ban were to be made national, which it currently isn’t, and ICE new car sales were banned starting in 2035. We’re still looking at at least 12 years of new ICE cars on the road and a serviceable life of at least 50 years beyond that. The transition away from ICE via bans is a “problem” for the younger population. A population who already largely don’t want ICE vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I agree with you although not sure if oil is really running low anytime soon. They always seem to find more, though obviously it is not infinite.

People who are anti-EV will always come out with the lithium mining bogeyman but conveniently ignore the consequences of sourcing oil. Including drilling in new and exciting places, and having to tolerate and make deals with govts like the Saudis, (formerly) the Russians, etc. Chile and Australia dominate known global Lithium reserves. I think those sound like better people to deal with.

This section seems to be conservative, so you're going to get a change-resistant response.
I think the timeline will constantly shift. As oil prices rise it become economically feasible to find new creative ways to extract it. Engines and other oil consumers will continue to get more efficient as well shifting the demand side needs. With the rapid adoption of EVs I can see it extending past 2100.

You are absolutely right about the ugly contortions oil has forced us into.

It confuses me why so many would prefer us to keep bending in those directions. While also throwing away American manufacturing leading the biggest shift in automotive technology in our lifetimes. You’d think American Made would be enough to get them on board too.

But, sadly, it appears Conservatives are just against anything that isn’t like their childhood. Period.

Even though the constitution protects their existing cars into perpetuity. They can continue to drive any ICE car they grew up with and up until 2035 (in CA) until the end of time…
Appreciate 2
chassis6690.50