View Single Post
      02-16-2023, 05:56 PM   #22
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Mining is such an environmentally clean process too.
Useful data point: in the Western world, it takes 15-20 years for a new mine to come on-line. Note that more mines in Western countries will be required if the goal of moving all of us to EVs is to be met. This is regardless of the transition end-dates being tossed-about today (e.g., 2030, 2035, 2050, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
this other article for CA specifically and they say EV and PHEVs from my understanding.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/californ...%20N%2D79%2D20.

CARB has been living in a dream world since at least the 1980s, when it declared that 10% of new vehicles sold in California would be emissions-free by the year 2000.

That fail was, hilariously, explained-away by the ignorant and the purposefully uninformed as GM taking its EV1 off the market so as to prevent the transition to non-fossil fuel vehicles. Mind you, the EV1 was the only EV available at the time, it was not for sale, quoted lessors of the day appeared to be exclusively virtue-signaling Hollywood types, and total production of the EV1 came in at barely over 1,100 units before GM gave up and threw in the towel.

Even for the time, such a spectacular fail was well into you-cain't-hardly-make-this-chit-upp territory. Of course, one had to be paying attention at the time to get it.

The bottom line is unchanged for something as significant as this transition is: double the time estimates published by qualified sources. Then triple them. Do the same for the costs. At that point, you will be well within a realistic ballpark of what's going to happen. Yes, there are always exceptions, and for something this incredibly huge, those are likely to take place on the downside (i.e., later and more costly than estimated, all along the way). For all of us, let's hope we end up doing at least better than that.

Last edited by dradernh; 02-16-2023 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 1