View Single Post
      04-07-2023, 04:37 PM   #43
oldtexasdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550I X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
That is a really good question. My understanding of the official position is that any powertrain tuning, whether by ECU flashing or bolt-ons, will void the warranty for any damage caused by said tuning. It is also apparently true that it's impossible to conceal tuning because your car's software is programmed to recognize and record any evidence of tuning.

In reality, it seems that individual dealerships and service advisors show varying degrees of ignorance and/or tolerance of tuning. See for example Manley00's comment above about getting his injectors replaced.

Reading other boards, it seems that third-party extended warranties are more tolerant and/or ignorant of tuning. Maybe just because BMW has no vested interest in alerting third parties that a covered car shows evidence of tuning.

I suggest you search around this and other forums and read what others have posted. Bottom line is: You roll the dice, you take your chances.
Well this is a bummer! I got the impression at the BMW dealership that they did not like any mods. I am a old gear head and now that I have had the car for a couple of months I would really like to start modding it for more fun. IE: HP and tranny shifting to go with the added HP.

As this is my first foray into foreign territory( BMW M550) I am on a learning curve. I bought it as a certified unit with still one year and or 16000K miles and I picked up an extended warranty taking it out to 70K so I would not like to disavow or negate that but I have the hots to mod.
Like I said BUMMER
Appreciate 0