06-28-2023, 06:51 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
We had to remove a huge ash tree that gave our front yard a ton of shade. But the roots were tearing the electrical and cable/phone boxes out of the ground, so the electric company sort of forced me to remove it. They offered to do it for nothing, so I let them do it. I hated to lose that tree, but here in central IL, it was doomed anyway because of the ash borer beetle. It was already showing signs of dying.

Lesson here: ash tree roots can cause serious damage. If that tree is threatening the pool at all, think about taking it out before it's too late.
Unfortunately I don't think anyone is going to be offering to take this one down and I don't think it would be cheap either. Honestly I don't know why the previous owners put the pool next to the tree. The tree has obviously been there way before the pool. It does appear they did cut off a massive branch that seemed to head out over the pool, but I don't think they did it properly and left a really large stump coming out which seems to be rotting out at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I had to remove a 50 ft pine tree that my daughter and I planted more than 30 years ago. That tree meant a lot to us but it was showing severe signs of dying after I had a large and dangerous branch removed that was threatening our house. I was warned that removing the branch might damage the tree but it was a chance I had to take. We planted the tree when it was a very small sapling that she got from school during the Christmas season when she was 9 years old.

My advice would be to have a reputable arborist come and assess your situation. You will pay a fee but it will be worth it in the long run to get the arborist’s professional opinion.
I have no sentimental attachment to it as we have only owned the property for 2 years. However I really like it. It's probably one of the biggest on the property at least in terms of width. There is only one oak that is bigger.

When I look up arborist’s around here all I get are the tree trimming companies which is who I've been dealing with thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
If the trees appear healthy, and it sounds like they do as the tree company did not recommend removal, a bit of trimming/removing branches is good for the health of the tree. Having said that, I'd get a second opinion from another reputable company just to compare the two recommendations.
Well one guy said he could trim it but I would be taking a 50/50 chance doing so would kill it. Another guy said he would not trim it at all and that he recommends taking it down.

I went to look at it closer today and noticed several holes in the trunk. Even saw some actual trunk looking beetles. I looked it up and they don't appear to be ash beetles that are killing all the ash trees, but rather some kind of bark beetle. However they say the bark beetles really only get into like firewood or dying trees. They seem to say that's its more rare for them to get into healthy trees.

Some pics for fun

Roots that seem to be going toward pool

Appreciate 1
vreihen1615631.00