12-02-2023, 06:31 AM   #79
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
But these distracted people are driving on the same roads as the rest of us, so can we save them from running into us?

Self-driving technology in the future just may solve this, and those self-driving cars won't need to go 100 mph, so their speeds can indeed be limited to right around whatever the posted speed limit is.

All the more reason to not try to control it with punitive-based legislation. Instead, maybe we should just use the technology that's available to us right now.

If we can't seem to control ourselves by driving the speed limit 99% of the time (and I'm guessing many car enthusiasts can't), then do we need technology to help us control ourselves?

Of course many of us in this forum will say, "Hell no!", but that's because we're in a BMW forum. Of course we're not going to want this kind of technology used, limiting our enjoyment.

Is 40,000+ drivers killed annually on American roads in recent years not a meaningful figure by itself?

Hec, for 3,000 people killed on 9/11 in a single event, we entered into a 10+ year war that costs like $2 trillion, a war that killed approximately 7,000 Americans BTW. We certainly deemed those 3,000 lives lost extremely significant...even though, relatively speaking, compared to even NYCs population, it was barely a drop in the bucket on a per capita basis.

So, 40,000 people killed annually on the roads is not even worth talking about?

I guess once someone in one of our own families is killed, or worse, we are, by somebody speeding or not paying attention, then it will matter. Sad that it has to happen to us before we realize that we could fix this, if we wanted to.
When that happens, I'll post about it and let you know how I feel then...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1