View Single Post
      01-01-2024, 04:32 AM   #2
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

I test drove an X3 M40i on the same day I bought out the lease for my 540i about a year ago. I quite liked the X3 though at the time I was considering it for my GF, not for myself. The X3 felt spacious enough for my broad shoulders and ingress and egress was nice. The main downside is perhaps that the cabin is less luxurious, and seats not as comfortable as the multi-contour in the 540i. Also I'm rather fussy about car audio and the HK stereo is quite a downgrade from the Bowers & Wilkins. The B58 in the X3 M40i is tuned to about 30 more horsepower, and as such the X3 felt quite nimble. I also did not notice all that much body roll. I'm a huge fan of the B58 engine and I think the X3 M40i is a very good vehicle. If you want more luxury you'll need to step up to an X5, but reviews say that does not feel nearly as sporty or fun to drive as the X3 M40i. Spec'd out to the max these X3 M40i's are not cheap. There's not that much price difference to a well spec'd G60 which though sort of questionable in looks at least now offers an equivalent 370 hp. Also, the SUV's are seeming to hold value a bit better than sedans these days so if you're shopping used '19 & '20 models they are probably gonna run equivalent to used G30 prices.