View Single Post
      03-31-2024, 05:46 PM   #60
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
Well, to me, the dynamic seems to be that the 5 series has shifted more to the luxury daily driver that still feels sporty and still has a semblance of satisfaction to drive. The 2, 3, and 4 series seems to be where all the "real" performance has shifted. ...and I'm ok with that. The size of all series has increased and, tbh, the G30 is a bit of a pig. So, realistically, the smaller chassis cars are more appropriate for enthusiasts and occasional track days.

I don't really agree. Even if one goes back to the E39, the 5 was always sitting between comfort and sport--a car that could both waft and carve corners in a manner that was satisfactory to customers who craved both. Its fundamentals (chassis balance, etc.) have not really changed. If anything, the G30/31 has brought back a bit more of the sport to the luxo/sport concept following the F10/11.

I tested an M550 and M340 before taking my 540. M340 was out of my price range due to how new they are (and pricing in Germany is insane), but the M550 was a private car that was 5k cheaper than my G31. I would have taken either 5er over the M340, regardless of price as I feel the cars are similar, but the 5 just does the balance better.

The M340 is a bit more agile, but that is about it. The car is nearly the same size as the 5 now. I am a handling fanatic and the 3 really doesn't have much on the 5, IMO. 2er is a different story, but all BMWs drive pretty well and are inherently very balanced.
Appreciate 3
eliphil1925.50
tjbuggy2b193.00
Gautam622.50