View Single Post
      04-27-2024, 08:42 PM   #3
SteveYem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S4, 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPD15M3 View Post
As a cop in Houston I can tell you do not drive the car without a temporary tag. You are correct in the fact that you need to go on the Texas DMV website and get a temporary tag. You can print it out at home before you come down to Texas. I believe it is fairly cheap and is valid for something like 30 days.

You also don’t need to notarize the title or the bill of sale. Making sure that the seller signs the back of the title over to you is the most critical part here in Texas.

I’m curious why the seller doesn’t leave his or her license plate on the car. Are they personalized plates that mean something to him or her? I’ve sold many cars and left my plates on the car for the new owner.

If you have any more questions you’re more than welcome to PM me.
Thanks for that input! That’s a fair point- I assumed for some reason that he’d keep his plate, but if he doesn’t have another car to use it on (or want to hang onto it for some reason) then it should stay on the car. But in any case, it seems I need to go to the DMV and get a temporary registration in my name. Good to know!
Appreciate 0