View Single Post
      05-04-2024, 05:08 PM   #62
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

Call me old school, but in my mind, tipping is done to make up for a salary that is well below par. Professional restaurant servers in the US are paid a relatively low wage with the expectation that they can improve that wage with tips that are reflective of the quality of service they provide customers. So, for instance, I don't tip in situations in which the level of service can't really be improved - say, counter service at a fast food restaurant or when someone pours me a coffee at Starbucks. And I don't tip in situations in which I believe the person serving me is making a good amount of money. SAs would certainly qualify there. That said, if I am getting my car serviced to the point that I get to know a particular SA, prefer that one over others, and really appreciate what that person does for me, then I will see if I can develop something of a more personal relationship with him or her. If I find out they like wine or baseball, then I might get them a bottle of good wine or a couple of nice (minor league here) baseball tickets once a year or so. No question that money can get you preferable treatment from some people, but a gift that someone really likes enhances the personal relationship and that will get you much more in the long run.

That's just me, though.
Appreciate 1