08-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
You don't often hear nice things being said about BMW NA. Here's the background story -

My wife's 2008 335i has 19,000 miles on it. So far it has had all 6 injectors replaced, 6 spark plugs, and 2 HPFP's (I recall 3 of them, but BMW's computer only shows 2). All of this has been within the past 3,000 miles and 4 months. My wife uses only 91 octane tier 1 gas and drives very normally. The car has no modifications and has never been modified.

On Sunday, while I was out at Streets of Willow with the BMW CCA LA Chapter, she calls me and tells me her car is difficult to start (again) and is going into an immediate limp mode. Unfortunately she is not close to home, but she gets it and the kids back safely.

Yesterday morning I took the car to the dealer (South Bay BMW). The service manager came out and saw the car with the MIL illuminated. I explained the car's history as politely as possible and told him that I understood this is not the dealership's fault.

The following day I got a call from BMW NA. They are agreeing to pay the remaining two months lease payments. Kudos for stepping-up and doing the right thing. The rep from NA was extremely friendly and helpful.

So while my wife will really miss this car, I am unwilling to take another chance of her getting stranded. She is now the proud owner of a 2009 VW Passat CC Luxury, black on black. Not a BMW I know but still...VW seems to have worked the kinks out of their HPFP's.

I wish I could attribute these issues to one bad car but these failures are just too common. My mom's (age 69) 2007 335i coupe has had 2 replacement pumps, a full set of injectors and 6 plugs. That car has 12,000 miles on it. My 07 335i only went through one HPFP in 20,000 miles but still...

BMW is a great engineering company that makes amazing cars. I just wish they would get a handle on this situation.
Your whole family seems to love the 335i.
Appreciate 0