E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenry135 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Alonso still have to pass two other cars after Petrov to win the title? I just think getting mad at Petrov was pointless, because he clearly didnt have the pace to pass the others anyway??? But what do I know, I'm not from Spain, which apparently makes me stupid...
The problem is, Renault is fast on Sector 2 but not Sectors 1 and 3. However, Alonso will have to overtake VP at Sector 2, which is where the Renault is the strongest.

Based on what the SPEED commentators said, if, and only if, Fernando passed Vitaly, he will immediately challenge Rosberg and overtake him very soon, which is not as fast as the Ferrari on the straight (i have not check the numbers and stats, do NOT quote me).

FA overall pace should be somewhere close to Button/Rosberg/Kubica. However, he lost 40 laps worth of pace. Let's say he's 0.5 sec faster than VP per lap. That's 20 secs lost just sitting behind Petrov. Which might even more when the race progresses and fuel load is lighter, thus making a faster lap.

Let's say, he's now +43.7 secs behind Vettel, if he did not got stuck behind Petrov, the 20 secs lost deduction. Which is about +23.7 secs behind Vettel. That'll bring him right behind Jenson Button, situate on P4, and win the championship by 2 points instead. (he got 6 points now, which was a possible 12 points, and vettel won by 4 points)....