View Single Post
      08-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
CharlieDog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Help: Replacement Z4 master key works, except in ignition

We got a 2003 2.5i a few weeks ago. It came with one key-the seller said that was all he had gotten when he bought the car. I was quoted $200 for a second key from the dealer, then came across a seller on eBay that sold master keys-$20 for two, they just needed to be cut and programmed to the car.

I got them, found a locksmith to cut them for $10, and programmed one of them per the instructions on this, or the other, forum. Both keys turn in the driver's door and trunk lid. And the key I programmed locks, unlocks, and opens the trunk without a problem using the buttons, so I would guess the vehicle recognizes it.

Unfortunately neither of the new keys will turn in the ignition-even if the steering wheel is not locked. I know how to unlock it if it locks accidentally.

I also noted that if either of the new keys is in the ignition, and I open the driver's door, there is no warning sound like with the original key in the ignition. Seems like the vehicle doesn't recognize that there is a key in the ignition.

I called the locksmith, and he said he can't program the car to the keys, so it looks like I may have to call the dealer next week unless anyone has other ideas.

TIA

Last edited by CharlieDog; 08-31-2019 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0