View Single Post
      08-11-2022, 04:51 AM   #18
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

I moved from a Merc with the matrix lights to a G30 with adaptive.

In the first few weeks i did feel like the Merc's lighting was superior (especially the 'light show' you get when they first turn on)

The biggest annoyance with the bMW is that you have to actively switch on the Auto headlight function, whereas in the merc you could leave the toggle on the stalk set to be on automatically.

I think the Merc lights project further and are a bit more intelligent (as you mentioned with the road signs), but after the honeymoon period, you wont notice the difference (or miss it should i say).

One other notable benefit i found with the BMW is that when auto headlights are on, and the car detects pedestrians/cyclists, it will flash a portion of the light straight at them and it is very noticable as driver (and the pedestrian) when this happens. it definatley helps with peripheral awareness.

Having said that, my car also has night vision so i dont know if that function is part of that package or the standard safety features (i think its standard).

long story short, get he adaptive lights. you may feel a little shortchanged to start with, but the lights are more than ample overall.

Also the sports/sports plus modes are more agressive in the Mercs than the BMW (i changed from an e400 to 540iX for reference).
Appreciate 0