08-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
How's the ride comfort on the rft on the 19 540?
I've got a 550 with 19" wheels. The factory tires were Michelin Primacy 3 RFTs. Ride quality was good. Handling was good too.

A couple of weeks ago I did a full tire change to Pirelli P-Zero RFTs (apparently, for AWD cars with tires at mid-life: staple in the shoulder of one tire --> replace all four tires (or get a shave)).

I only have a few hundred miles on the Pirellis but, so far, the ride quality is better. They feel more supple. Not sure if its the change in tire or because the pirellis are rated for slightly less weight than the old Michelins (Front: 94Y vs. 98Y, Rear: 96Y vs. 100Y). I keep the Pirellis inflated to the same pressure I kept the Michelins.

Handling feels better too -- more feedback, better grip. Because the tires are still fairly new, however, I haven't really pushed the grip limit.

I think for most people the tradeoff between RFT and non-RFTs involves the following:

(1) RFTs have a lower ride quality but only minor inconvenience if you get a puncture/"flat" -- you just drive (slowly) to a nearby and convenient destination and get a new tire.

(2) non-RFTs (go flats!) have better ride quality but involve a major inconvenience if you get a puncture/flat -- you will need to stop wherever you are to change the tire. It could be somewhere quite inconvenient!

To my thinking the choice comes down to (a) preferences for ride quality, (b) a subjective estimate of the probability of getting a puncture/flat, and (c) how inconvenienced you would be having to stop immediately to deal with the puncture/flat. The latter category probably depends heavily on your particular circumstances, how you use your car, and where you live and regularly drive.
Appreciate 0