View Single Post
      04-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
CarEnthused
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT4

I have no interest in the Apple Watch until Apple can convince me that the functionality is really worthwhile. But there's some semi-thoughtless bashing going on in here that I wanted to chime in on.

I don't think Apple has ever claimed that the Apple Watch edition or otherwise is a more impressive feat than the intricate engineering that goes into developing a nice mechanical timepiece. Traditional watches and smart watches are simply fighting over the same real-estate, not their intended goal.

If you want legitimate fashion and nothing more than time-related functionality, buy a timeless mechanical watch that can be maintained and passed down for generations.

If you want a companion to your phone that helps you streamline some processes, is fun to geek out about and gives you fitness data, buy a smart watch. If you want a smart watch with impressive build quality buy the Apple Watch, if you want one that's exclusive buy the Apple Watch Edition. With the edition you're buying an image. Apple didn't spend much time discussing it during their keynote and I suspect there's some internal conflict about how they feel about that particular model. can't afford it/don't want it? Don't buy it.

If you read the Jony Ives interview he states that they didn't come at the Apple watch with any disdain for traditional watches. They appreciate and love them, they just wanted to come at it in a different way and they've added to the market with their offering.

Regarding appearance: I'm not particularly interested in the aesthetic that the current Apple Watch offers. I will say it looks better in photos/videos than it does in renders on the Apple site. But there are also people who wear Diesel watches and they pass as fashion items. It's not for everyone but there's a certain aesthetic appeal to some people.

Regarding battery: The 42mm supposedly can easily last a day, the smaller watch seems to struggle a little bit more.

In short the Apple watch and other smart watches will be disruptive to the watch industry, but not the truly impressive high-end. Smart watches will likely have the largest affect on brands that are largely quartz-only, such as Nixon. Tag Heur, Rolex, etc need not worry. Those with deep enough pockets to buy an Apple Watch Edition might likely already own a fine watch and this is just another in that collection.

[CURRENT] 2016 Porsche GT4 (for sale)
[PREVIOUS] '17 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, '16 M2, '13 911 C2 7MT, '08 E92 M3, '07 E92 335i, '97 M3 Coupe, '95 318ti
Appreciate 0