View Single Post
      07-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
As we get closer to the reveal, I am getting more and more excited about M2 but also dread. I really like what the M2 represents...the smallest, hopefully lightest ///M car made today. In its day the E30 M3 was the smallest and lightest. The M5 was bigger and a you can draw parallels to the the new bigger M3 and the up-and-coming M2. Unlike many on this forum that can afford 2,3,4 expensive cars I can afford 1 nice car and a beater so the nice car has to push the right buttons. So I was recently with a couple of buddies at Denny's after Cars and Coffee discussing our dream cars and great cars we saw there. We talked cars for two hours and never once did anyone say, "yeah remember the Acme Diablura Espeziale with fake sound through the speakers?" Or, "man! That infotainment thingamadoodle with the tv display on top of the dash look great!." No one said "did you see STI....the dude retrofitted active suspension with a comfort setting....badass!"

Nope none of that happened. I know it's what's coming and you can't un-check the option list but it's a weird feeling having the excitement mixed with dread of what lameness BMW could bring to the M2.
I think you are way overreacting about all those things. Neither of those things are what makes a car great or bad.

Think about what's more important: BMW doing what they do best (i.e small, nimble cars) or the fact that it has those options? If those things bother you that much, then I would probably stick to the 1M personally.

I'm far more concerned about how the car will drive, which an iDrive screen and "fake" sound will not really affect. When the car comes out, most people will be talking about its traits, not the fluff. My 2 cents.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 3