02-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #1520
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Toyota isn't a lot better but they have their reputation for reliability (which is largely due to re-using old tech) to fall back on and their new interiors at least look last gen as opposed to Nissans that look last decade. The latest Corolla and Camry aren't too shabby for entry level transportation and at least Toyota hasn't gone CVT crazy like Nissan, Subaru, Honda. The Japanese have all largely gone conservative over the last few decades as they have been last to jump on turbocharging, direct injection, advanced automatic gearboxes, etc. It's why I'm driving German cars almost exclusively as I don't care for domestics and most Japanese offerings are dated drivetrains and tech. They have totally left the door open for the Koreans who keep chipping away at their market shares.
I don't really think Toyota is targeting enthusiasts. It's an appliance to get from a to b. Most people just want it to be cheap, reliable and get decent gas mileage. They don't know or care about turbos or CVT vs DCT.

I actually got a 2020 Corolla as a rental in CA for like 2 weeks. I liked the little car so much ended up buying one when I got home. Wanted another car as the girlfriend doesn't like to drive the F350 or the C7 and honestly I don't like driving the F350 around town either and I only take out the C7 on nice days. Was looking at Accords also but just ended up getting a 2020 Corolla, whatever the basic package is, only has wheels and keyless entry.

Honestly for like 18k new I think it's a great little car if you're not an enthusiast. I mean it has more features than I would have expected in a basic Corolla. Apple carplay, adaptive cruise, bsm, lane keep assist, led headlights (freaking most brands still put halogen lights on their entry level cars). Has enough power for the average person and gets 30+ mpg with no turbos or anything like that to worry about. I also find the new interior to actually look pretty good, I actually like it more than the Camry interior.

Saw like 3 supras at the track this weekend, I think the design is growing on me. I think I would take the supra over the Z4.
Appreciate 0