Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCL_24 View Post
Now that you guys have educated me a ton on exterior detailing... any suggestions for interior cleaning?

My leather is fine (although at some point in the future i'll probably want to clean and potentially condition).

My real question is for the 'touch' surfaces like the buttons and black plastic trim on the dashboard.. as well as the round knob/selector that you use to control the menus/iDrive, etc. These areas leave my fingers feeling a little oily and 'tacky' - kind of hard to describe. A few of the dash and radio buttons feel a little sticky when pressing them too... meaning there isn't a crisp 'click' when pressing them every time. I didn't realize this until I was literally driving home in the car, and my initial thought was the previous owner or a dealership employee spilled something. I know i mentioned a few small spots of sticky gunk on the aluminum trim but that was different. The more I think about it, if someone spilled something... i feel like there would be more signs of that on the trim and other interior pieces. Maybe it's just me trying to be optimistic (the thought of a previous spill makes me cringe).. but I'm starting to wonder if whatever the dealer used to clean the interior got around the buttons and is causing them to stick. Also making the surfaces not feel super clean.

Also.. for this button - should it be more of a mouse click feel or a deeper 'dull' press?
For the interior I use two products. Duragloss Leather and Vinyl Dressing and Distilled Water. Anything leather or vinyl gets the Duragloss and anything glass or wood gets distilled water. I use a really short pile MF cloth to apply the dressing and a special glass cloth I have for the distilled water. That's it. If I ever felt the need to clean my black leather, I would use warm water with a mild detergent.

For your sticky buttons, spray the dash down with distilled water and wipe in and off by pushing the bottoms as you swipe.

You have Dakota Leather. Conditioner won't do much to that.

My trim is Piano Black and as OCD as I am, I don't stress about swirls, smudges or dust too much. I do keep a MF cloth on the passenger seat and am always wiping it down when in traffic with stop and go enabled. It kind of comes with the territory when you pick high gloss piano black. Any swirls are really only noticeable in certain direct light. If they got bad (which they won't given who the owner is), I'd polish it.

My park sensor button is more like a mouse click. There probably was a spill given the area. Start with spraying distilled water liberally around it and pushing it over and over. Then add solvent to the water if it doesn't dissolve the sugar in there. Maybe try a syringe to get in the nooks with some alcohol.

I got something like this as a stocking stuffer and didn't think I would use it, but it has come in handy:

https://www.amazon.com/Camkix-Multi-...a-835161989929

Last edited by Joe-BMW33; 08-04-2022 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
MCL_2476.00