Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden3301 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Nobody's being judgmental - just agreeing. What's up with the snappy? I clearly stated that it would be done on the MDT if not called out.
Guys, my question was simple and no one really could answer that -

the cop came up on me, stopped me and said "license, registration and proof of insurance please" to which I provided the first and the last and started digging through my glove box for the registration, founds copies of two prior registrations and the cop noticed that while staring by my passenger side window and commented "yeah, you are not going to find what you are looking for! your registration is expired and that is why I stopped you" to which I gave a bewildered look and said "really? because I am pretty sure BMW asked me and I paid for the registration a few months ago as they would never let a lessee drive an unregistered car", cop "can you just hand me your d/license", I followed his instructions and he went back to his car and came back with a ticket "if you have a valid registration just provide it to the court and they will take care of this ticket, otherwise just pay the small fine and you don't have to go to court". I am thinking in my head "yes, for sure I am not paying the small fine of $55, when I already paid for registration" and drove off ....traffic stops are so ridiculous and horrible experiences!

so my question was "why did his system show my vehicle had an expired registration when in reality it didn't? registration sticker says I am registered through 6/22"

It happens often. It's the DMV's fault, not the officer's. There are plenty of times I've run a plate that came back with expired registration, only for the driver to have documentation showing the registration was valid. Sometimes I still write the citation and sometimes I don't. It's up to the courts/DMV to deal with. Documentation can be forged. I've seen that as well.

P.S. As far as I know, BMW can't do anything if you don't pay registration. Sometimes insurance companies will notify the lender if insurance coverage lapses and/or is dropped, but even that's not consistent. This may vary from state to state however; my reference point is California.
Appreciate 0