View Single Post
      03-02-2024, 01:32 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

URGENT! Help with MSS spring install

Got my car half apart only to find that some of the parts in my MSS spring kit don't seem to fit. The rubber "slip mats" for the rear have too small an opening to get over the shock body, and the black helper springs seem to have the same issue.

Does anyone have the part number for the helper springs? Mine are 11/21 P/N 1010.

I think I can just increase the inside diameter of the rubber mat but now I'm wondering if the fronts are wrong, too.

EDIT: HUGE SLICE OF "I'M AND IDIOT" PIE.

I just want everyone to know that this fitment issue was all my fault. Well, 75% my fault. I still put some blame on MSS for poor installation instructions, and a small bit on BMW for not mentioning it in their ISTA procedures, either. I think the very short version will sufficiently explain the mistake.

In the picture below, the parts I circled... yeah, they come off.

Here's the thing, though. Nowhere in the MSS directions, and nowhere I saw in the ISTA procedures does it mention this. Also, MSS never mentioned this in my email communications. Like, how was this not obvious to them, when I sent them pics and explained my issue? Anyway, this could have saved me so much time and (possibly) money, as now I need to try to return the Bilstein B8 struts I bought. ...which, btw, also don't fit. The fronts fit fine but the spring seat cup on the rears are too large a diameter for the black springs to fit over. My mechanic confirmed all of the above and also lamented the lack of detail in the install directions. Anyway, I feel shtty for the stink I made over this but I'm sure MSS has forgotten about me by now. lol

Hopefully, the next DIYer can learn from me.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 04-26-2024 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0