First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Meh. It's a looker insofar as an abstract idea of beauty is concerned. I think we ascribe our ideas of beauty to an ideal imposed on us by common opinion - "there is only one of X therefore it must be unique and/or beautiful" or "it's sitting in a museum therefore it must have value". Basically, I'm saying that just because there is so much aura around the 328MM, we automatically stand up and say "wow it [must be] beautiful!". I am guilty of same.

I posit that the 328MM is a unique looking car that is hardly beautiful, and I further posit that since we are from the 21st century, what we consider beautiful and what the 1930s people considered beautiful are completely different things, and therefore we should appreciate what we have and let old things sit around in museums.

That said, there aren't any beautiful BMWs out now. :]
Each to his own. I still stand by my original dare I say, summation regarding the 328MM. Am I guilty of following the status quo? Maybe, maybe not, but I could hardly be bothered either way. I choose to enjoy it for what I feel it is or is not as they case may be and leave the analysis to others.
Appreciate 0