02-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #870
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Lol. 42 out of 123 isn’t something to write home about, IMO. That’s like saying “hey mom I finish slightly above AVERAGE! In my high HP, top of the line BMW!”

There’s a lot to be said about how a faster driver in a faster car will net faster results. Just because you’re getting point-bus from inferior drivers in faster cars, doesn’t make your M3 CS a better car.

In fact, I can cite anecdotal evidence all day long about how I was passing significantly faster and better cars on track in my MZ4 Coupe, doesn’t change the fact that first session out in a Corvette C7 Grand Sport I was doing laps 7 seconds per lap faster. And no matter how much I LOVE the MZ4 Coupe, it cant compete with 200 more ft-lbs on a 13 year newer chassis with magic double wishbone suspension and 50mm wider semi street legal “slicks.”

It ALSO doesn’t change the fact that in 2006-2008 (when my MZ4 Coupe was born) the M3 of the day could hang with the Corvettes of its day and then some...But nothing in the BMW lineup today can go toe to toe with today’s Corvette. Or Camaro ZL1. Or Crapstang GTxxx.

And I don’t even have to mention those prancing ponies from Stuttgart.
Somewhat disagree, I think you have selective memory.

The regular M3/4 has a very similar performance envelope to a base C7 Corvette. Look up the best track times in the Track sub forum (there are a few people who have owned or tracked both and gotten similar times).

I hang with GT350 and Camaro SS 1LE at VIR. Could better drivers perhaps go a second or two faster in the Mustang or Camaro? Who knows. The differences don’t seem night and day.

In 2008 no BMW could hang with a Z06 Corvette.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
jmg18664.50