View Single Post
      12-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

G30 Rear Fog Light Install

I finally tracked down the rear fog light switch for my G30. I still need to code it to work but it's going in for software updates and its first service soon and I didn't want to change coding until they've done that.

There are several versions of the light switch:

61319493733 - Rear Fogs Only
61319493736 - Rear Fogs Only + Night Vision
61319493734 - Front Fogs + Rear Fogs
61319493738 - Front Fogs + Rear Fogs + Night Vision

I couldn't find a guide to swapping out this part so here's how you do it:

Remove the plastic cover on the side of the dashboard. It's held in with 4 clips and does take some effort to remove. I used a plastic pry tool and started with the front edge below the trim/vent area.

There's a single torx screw which needs to be removed to release the trim/vent. You can then pop out the trim/vent with your fingers. It does not need to be removed, just popped out because the top edge of the light switch is tucked in behind it.

The light switch can be pushed out by reaching behind and pushing on it. I would suggest NOT using a pry tool as the gloss plastic surround is fairly fragile and the metal tabs holding the switch in place are part of the switch body.

Pop in the new switch and check that everything works as before. (Rear fogs will need coding so that button will do nothing, but everything else should work.)

Push the trim/vent back into place and reinstall the torx screw. When replacing the plastic cover make sure to tuck the rear edge in back under the weather stripping. There's also a small alignment tab that needs to be tucked in behind the trim/vent before fully pressing in the clips holding plastic cover in.

Once I get my car back from service and figure out what coding needs to be done I'll post it up here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2