View Single Post
      06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I can't tell you from experience but from those that have commented on the smell with catless DPs, they're saying they don't even notice the smell. The only time I've heard it can smell a little is when the car is at idle and you're sitting outside the car and kinda looking for it and one person claims that no one has ever mentioned it even when he had people standing around the car at idle.

With that said, they did note that it's due to the secondary cats that keeps it from smelling. Apparently, removal of that causes it to really smell.

Take that for what you will. Like I said, I haven't had personal experience just sharing what others have said.

Here are some comments I've found (some are specifically related to N54, but I'd expect the N55 DP change to be similar)

"You won't have an odor if you have a stock N54 cutback. Once the secondary cats are warm, they're enough to prevent this.

Personally, on my N54, I don't have any rasp or drone with the stock cutback and 3" AA downpipes."

"I have a vert so I was really worried about the smell but after the first week it's not bad at all. Every now and then if I park in the garage, jump out, and walk behind the car i'll smell it. But generally the smell isn't an issue. Stock Catback with AA here"

"There is a slight sound difference but I personally can't smell a difference with my ******* dps.

I've had ******* downpipes in other cars without secondary cats and the smell is terrible."

"I can smell a difference, but its not horrible. No one else has ever noticed it. "
Yeah I read their comments, but apparently the older N54 has 4 cats N55 has only 2, so remove 1 you're left with only 1..im trying to look for the thread, that thread really scared me!