Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 328i 6MT, '16 F10 535i

Garage List
2016 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
I ended up using 3m 5962 VHB 19mm tape worked great.

Tried a different cheaper automotive tape first and it failed to stay stuck to the spoiler.

One piece of advise is use sandpaper to rough up the area your applying the tape to on the spoiler they can be very smooth or have reside which the tape won't stick to.
I would not advise sandpaper personally. My method to install spoilers is to first thoroughly clean the area with car shampoo, then do an IPA wipedown, and finally, use Dawn dishsoap to clear off any existing wax. Just be VERY careful the dishsoap doesn't go anywhere else as it will ruin your existing wax. After applying the dishsoap, I wipe it all off with a damp microfiber and make sure the surface is bone dry. I've personally used 3M double-sided tape for spoiler installs and it's been perfectly fine. I also use painters tape to apply even pressure across the spoiler. It's crucial to let the car sit in the garage or in the sun and to avoid any and all forms of rain/moisture for the first couple days to ensure the best bond.

Following this method the spoiler I have installed for my own cars as well as for my buddies have been stuck through it all. On my own E90 the spoiler has been stuck for over five years and has seen the worst Canadian winters and heaven knows how many car washes touchless or otherwise.
Appreciate 0