United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60WEB View Post
I've had 2 M sport 5 series and the overall look of the cars is enhanced in that trim albeit the G30/G31 is a bit more restrained in that respect IMO.
Have switched to a 530 SE Touring estate now. The main problem with UK model specifications is you cannot tailor your build sufficiently with the standard configurator. Dealers not that helpful either, if the dealer configurator won't allow then that's it.
My reason for going SE was primarily:-
Limited colours in M Sport.
Couldn't specify Ventilated Comfort seats in Cognac on M sport
18 inch wheels not available on standard 530d M sport. 19 standard.
Not keen on the Busy alum Rhomboid trim standard on M sport.

Whilst disappointed I couldn't spec the M sport version to my liking, the circa 3 grand saving went towards my other bits which add far more to the car than some bigger wheels and sportier look.
Comfort seats.
Head up display
Adaptive cruise.
VDC
Alum Trim
Hi if Loudspeakers

5000 miles in now and overriding impression excellent. Fantastic economy circa 40+ .
My only reservation is VDC and RFT tyres.
VDC does improve overall comfort across certain types of poorer surfaces and undulating road surface, but it does NOT eliminate or massively improve the "crash bang wallop" across potholes and some of our grimmer road surfaces in UK. That's wholly down to RFT tyres and I'm a bit unimpressed with overall ride comfort and noise as a result.
I've had RFT's on an E60 before, removed them after 2 years , my second E60 M sport 535d had bigger 19 inch wheels and standard "normal" tyres from the factory but ride was compliant and quiet, sublime when cruising, in fact better than the G31 I now have on a smaller wheels with VDC...a mistake on my part to assume Runflats have evolved and improved.

Unsurprisingly new factory order cars can be specced with 18" wheels and standard tyres since January but after my order.
No M cars can be ordered with RFT Tyres. That tells you something.

It's more than likely that I will take the current RFT tyres off and fit Michelin Cross Climates before next winter sets in.
If I get a puncture in the meantime, all 4 will come off - they're that bad.
Interesting points. I'm surprised to hear that the ride quality, even on 18 inch alloys, fall short of your expectations. It sounds like you need to gift yourself a set of non-RFT for Christmas.

However, Adaptive dampers are very good but have limitations that even non-RFT can't resolve. I have had the pleasure of driving a G12 730d M-Sport on 20 inch alloys for a few days. Some people casually say that the G30 is so good it makes the G11 redundant. This is not true. The 7-Series filter potholes and levels speed bumps in ways the 5-Series on VDC can't rival. My local roads in Kent are outright ghastly and the G12 glide over anything I chuck at it without crashing or dipping.

If you appreciate a smooth ride then you should consider the G11.
7 series has air suspension doesn't it?

I find the g30 with adaptive drive on my 19" rfts on winter or summer absolutely fine. Potholes should be avoided in any car on any tyres. My wife's car had 17" non rfts and the potholes basically ruined 3 tyres.

The 5 deals with them very well and maybe it's the adaptive drive that does it but I doubt it. Comfort rides over unevenness better than sport for sure. But in sport it's more composed when I want to quickly steer around a pothole
Appreciate 0