United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60WEB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm a bit surprised at some of the ride quality comments.

I was surprised how well a G30 530d xDrive on 20" wheels and M-sport suspension coped on typical broken roads, where I've been very critical of BMW on any RFT wheel combination over the years.

Not so smooth as my F11 on 18" RFTs with Adaptive Drive. Then I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I know the rear air suspension helps a little in the F11, over the worst of surfaces, but with 20" run-flat shod wheels and passive M-sport suspension? Shows how BMW have moved the game on for sure.

My concern... are we still seeing some wheel-tyre combinations don't work as well as others? And it may not just be the biggest rims and lowest profiles at fault.
On the RFT comments, I'm not expecting any miracles over some of our poorer road surfaces.
In response to one of the comments here I try and avoid "potholes" wherever possible,..! albeit that's not always successful in the dark or very wet conditions. My main issue with with my setup up (SE / 18" / VDC / Michelin Primacy RFT) is the ride is a bit disappointing compared to a previous 535d M sport on normal rubber and larger wheels.
The VDC is very effective generally but cannot compensate for a tyre that does not yield to any imperfections on the road.
I thought the Tyre technology had moved on a bit from my first E60 M sport which had 18" runflats; I don't think it has, and the ride Comfort in my wife's Polo on the same roads confirms it......
Another downside to these dreadful RFT things is the tendency for the car to skip/lose grip across uneven surfaces when cornering, something I have not experienced in my last 4 cars.. probably due to normal tyres adapting to to the road contour more readily.
Sounds like you have crappy tyres. I've got the Goodyear eagle f1 rfts on 19 msport with adaptive and not experienced anywhere near this discomfort you're referring to. The same roads on my e61 se suspension on 17" rfts feel much more uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0