View Single Post
      09-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

What you've thought of the car since leasing or owning it and how many miles you have on the clock now?
8 months and about 5500 miles. Rock solid so far with no problems. While I wish the car had more power (540e? M550e?) it has had ample power for me any time I needed it including passing a car pulling a trailer on a step hill with a speed limit of 65 mph.

Just be aware that your trunk has a much more limited vertical space.

Finally, just some tips/tricks on efficiency although I believe that for now I'll be doing all electric to get to/from work since I'm about 16 miles each way and it seems like the best bet if I don't have any stops to make in between.
I bought my car for environmental reasons and the ability to drive in the car pool lane at any time of the day or week. I am less concerned about mph. But be aware that unless you "hypermile" you will not get 16 miles of pure electric driving most of the time. Very cold weather or very hot weather will serious erode the capacity.
My suggestion is to put the car in whatever driving mode you like (comfort/sport/ecopro; I have the dynamic dampers and I had my car coded so I default to adaptive mode) and leave the car in auto edrive mode. The car is smart enough to do a good job of balancing your driving. If you have an area where you need to drive in pure electric mode (such as a city with congestion pricing), then it might make sense to use battery save mode; I don't. The only time I normally take the car out of auto emode is when I am on my way home doing local driving and can see that it makes sense to use up my electrons.
Otherwise, you are likely to use the same amount of electrons.

My other advice is that after you break the car in, at least occasionally drive it like you hate it. It is fun and, like people, the car likes exercise.
Appreciate 1