09-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #15
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbimmer View Post
I am new to this forum and have decided to get a 2019 BMW 530e. I have solar at home and can charge at work for free, which is 12 miles away. I want the 2019 instead of the 2018 because my hope is that they will have worked out some of the kinks in the 2018, which was the first model year.

I have always purchased with cash, never lease or finance, and hold on to my cars for 10 years as it seems to have the best value.

My first question is whether purchasing makes more sense than leasing (3 years) or financing (4% APR) for this 530e?

My second question is, if I'm considering a 530e with a MSRP of $65,500, what price should I expect to pay (prior to tax, registration)? $60,000?

Thanks.
These cars have high depreciation rates. Honestly, the best and most financially sensible way to purchase a BMW is to opt for a CPO or lightly used car and hold on to it for as long as possible. Let the first owner eat the initial steep depreciation as soon as he drives it off the lot.

If you insist in buying brand new, then I would suggest to shop around for the lowest interest rate available and try to finance it for no longer than 36 months (Thus avoiding the need to purchase additional gap insurance). You may have to put down a significant down payment to keep the monthly payment in check. Hold on to the vehicle for 7-10 years minimum to justify the depreciation.

Some would argue the leasing is the only way to justify a new BMW. Personally, leasing has never made any sense mathematically and financially speaking, it just doesn't add up. But that's me.

If you are buying for the long haul, consider adding an extended BMW warranty that will take you to 6-7 years and or 100K miles. The 530e is a complex car with an equally complex drivetrain. You don't want to deal with repair costs of a German plug in hybrid outside of warranty. BMW extended warranty plans have changed in recent years so it pays to be informed before signing the stack of papers at the finance manager office.

Good luck.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0