View Single Post
      04-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITexpert77 View Post
I just test driven a G20 3 series for a day yesterday with idrive 7.
And I saw that the new X5 has exactly the same 3 series idrive 7.
Issues:

1. The various buttons both on the dash and by the side of the idrive controller are very plasticky and united together. You press one button and they all move!

2. There are serious buttons missing, like A/C on/off, Automatic air recirculation, etc. Instead we get a A/C Menu button that gives a messy menu on the i-drive! If I wanted menus and computer buttons I would buy a Tesla!

3. The main menu is not as nice and graphical as the i-drive 6. Much less choice. For a lot you have to press the tiny car on-screen button to get access to a text menu.

4. There used to be separate buttons at the side of the steering wheel for the various added factory options (enable/disable), they are now buried in i-drive menus.

I'm driving BMWs for 25 years and I don't like the direction it's going. Also external appearance wise the new 7 series LCI is ugly, very thin lights front and back, almost like the ugly new electric Huyndai Kona or something.
This LCI makes BMWs look more like Audis.

I want to buy a new 530e, I will rush to buy it before the LCI before the idrive 7.

I don't think the 5 LCI will have the exact "dash" configuration as the G20 or the new x5. The confusing thing is that "dash" is a generic term.

1. If you look at the 7 LCI, the "dash" that houses the HVAC controls and vents, audio buttons, engine start button, glove box etc is different than the G20. That part didn't change from the 7 to the 7 LCI.

2. The only "dash" change in the 7 LCI is the digital instrument cluster (with the backward tachometer) and the idrive 7.0 (it is the same screen, just with an updated OS).

From a manufacturer's perspective, it costs a lot to change #1 because it requires completely new fabrication of parts because each model's interior dimensions are very different. So it is not likely they will change it for the short lifespan of the LCI. #2 are interchangeable modular parts that can be used almost throughout the entire model line, so it's just inventory control.

That's why I think the 7 LCI is more representative of what will happen to the 5 LCI. I just hope they don't put a giant hideous grill on the 5 LCI.
Appreciate 0