View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #37
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

My sisters day care only closed for about 6 weeks. They reopened to essential workers first (her husbands a fireman & she works in the cath lab) and have been fully open since June. They haven't had any issues with needing to close. My 6 year old nephew starts 1st grade tomorrow (public school).

In Orleans and Jefferson Parish, it's a shit show with schools right now. A lot of parents have kids in school in both parishes. Our public schools aren't the greatest so a lot of private school options. Each private school has its own option on how it wants to open. Orleans Parish is staying virtual until after Labor Day. There are talks of encouraging parents to pack lunch. Also, eating in classrooms and no recess. For younger kids, how do they get their energy out? I don't see the benefit of locking kids in a classroom all day.

One lady I was talking to yesterday is a nurse (single mom). She has to leave her 6 year old home(virtual learning) with her teenager (virtual learning). Who is supposed to teach the 6 year old while the teenager is supposed to be doing class? A lot of parents are extremely stressed trying to balance work with uncertain school schedules. Before and after care is either not an option or very limited.

My 14 year old niece was moved from a small French immersion school in NOLA to a large middle school in South Florida. She's very shy and was just starting to make friends & then Covid hits. She will now start 9th grade virtual in a new school again. She cried a lot when she was in town a few weeks ago because she hasn't had a chance to make friends. She stays in her room most days. She said do you know how hard it is to wake up and motivate yourself & not know anybody to motivate you. Just not what you want to see kids experiencing. It makes me sad for her because I look back at that age hanging with my friends & having fun.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25086.00