03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I can see visually what you/they meant. My mind remains dumbfounded why one would care about the logo on a box that will end up in the trash or stuffed in the back of a closet.

It's funny what folks think about packaging. There's a thread on WUS that I started recently about packaging. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/wa...g-1004198.html) I'm having a good laugh at some of the comments.

All the best.
Very interesting thread. Read through the first two pages. I feel similarly to you. My box will probably just end up in my closet with the spare straps and other stuff. I'm actually more interested in that leather roll they're including.

My bet is that most of the draw of those extravagant boxes is the unboxing experience. If you go on youtube, you can find thousands of videos dedicated to unboxing. People just love that "Christmas morning" type experience. I think all that effort into the packaging fills that strange need. I honestly get pleasure from it as well (just not enough to watch other people unboxing their own stuff in videos all day :P)

I think the packaging also speaks to the quality of the product, though. Apple products for example, come in very nice boxes. Not extravagant in any sense. They are actually a very minimalistic design but they are put together well and you can see the thought that was put into designing it, which reflects the thought that goes into their products. At least with those, since they are just thick cardboard, you have no remorse for just tossing it afterwards.

At some point, I think too much becomes overly extravagant like the one you showed in that thread. It does illicit a certain "wow" factor when unboxing it but then you can't help but wonder how much money and effort was redirected into the packaging and your left with a useless box.

Maybe they can setup a core-charge business model and you can send back your extravagant box for a small refund

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0