View Single Post
      02-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
IPStevieB
Kro's Dad
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i Auto, '18 F48 X1

About to find out!

We just outfitted our 2018 X1 M-Sport with a Draw-Tite Class III hitch/receiver and had a 4/7-pin plug and trailer brake controller wired in along with it. I took the car to Hitch House in Chamblee GA (Atlanta area) and they did the entire job for about $1100. It looks OK, no bumper cuts needed, and the trailer brake controller fits perfectly level inside the small hinged cubby on the lower LH side of the dash. That's where I used to keep my wallet

Now, onto the numbers. The curb weight of the X1 is 3,706 and the GVWR is 4,720, which leaves a cargo carrying capacity of just over 1000lbs. I am trying to find out the GCVWR , that's the magic number.

The Draw-Tite hitch is rated at 4600lbs with a max tongue weight of 675lbs. There's a comprehensive installation video on etrailer.com if you're interested. It's rated well over what the car should be safely towing.
The travel trailer I want to tow has a UVW of 2800lbs and the tongue weight is 290. Add propane, a battery and some camping crap and that can easily be 3200 and 400 respectively. Add another 50lbs for a weight distribution hitch.
Furthermore, using the aforemetioned Equal-i-zer WD hitch along with sway control on the trailer may stress the unibody frame of the X1, but how badly I don't know.
I will at least tow it home, which is 25 miles with a few small grades. I'll provide an update with pictures right here on Sunday, good or bad. Any feedback here is appreciated. Even if you want to call me crazy

Last edited by IPStevieB; 02-15-2018 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0