ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Plenty of auto transmissions used in tow vehicles. In fact, most experienced RVers prefer auto transmission over manual. My issue is with a FWD biased AWD towing a (relatively) heavy RV, even with a load equalizing hitch.
Sure, but plenty of automatic transmissions get fried by the heat that builds up from the extra weight. The transmissions in RVs are heavy duty and have high capacity coolers to get rid of the heat. The transmission in vehicles such as an X1 were not designed for towing and the cooling systems don't have enough capacity to shed the heat. Sure you can do it, but it will be hard on the transmission.
In general, I agree with you, however the Aisin 8AT in the AWD X1 20d/25i/28i does actually include a transmission oil cooler. BMW is pretty conservative and, in my experience, generally specifies components capable of reliably meeting specified use. As this includes a (braked) towing capacity up to 2,000Kg, the transmission ought to be able to handle this. But the X1 is by no means the sort of tow vehicle I'd choose for a 3,500lb twin axle RV, for reasons stated.
Appreciate 0